Using Focus 1-2-3 helps teachers meet their professional standards by engaging students and developing positive climates for learning, as well as content standards for health, physical education and social-emotional learning.
Standards for the Teaching Profession
Engaging and Supporting All Students in Learning
• If students are off-task, teachers examine why and use strategies to re-engage them.
• Teachers understand how to create a structured day with opportunities for movement.
Focus 1-2-3 is a tool for teachers to engage students and create effective learning environments.
According to the Guidelines for Social and Emotional Learning
High Quality Programs for School and Life Success: "Parents want young people to take responsibility for their personal health and well-being."
Focus 1-2-3 supports the emotional and social well-being of students and teachers.
Social-Emotional Learning Standards
Develop self-awareness and self-management skills to achieve school and life success.
Focus 1-2-3 teaches self-regulation skills that can be applied at school and at home.
National School Climate Standards
1. Developing a shared vision and plan for promoting, enhancing and sustaining a positive school climate.
2. Developing policies that promote social, emotional ethical, civic and intellectual learning as well as systems that address barriers to learning.
3. Promoting practices that promote the learning and positive social,emotional, ethical and civic development of students and student engagement as well as addressing barriers to learning.
4. Creating an environment where all members are welcomed, supported, and feel safe in school: socially, emotionally, intellectually and physically.
Focus 1-2-3 fosters a positive classroom environment, facilitates learning by reducing stress, teaches students tools to help them engage in learning, and fosters a welcoming, playful classroom climate.
National Physical Education Standards
According to Moving into the Future: National Standards for Physical Education, 2nd Edition, the physical education national standards develop physically-educated individuals who have the knowledge, skills, and confidence to enjoy a lifetime of healthful physical activity.
Standard 1: Demonstrates competency in motor skills and movement patterns needed to perform a variety of physical activities.
Standard 3: Participates regularly in physical activity.
Standard 5: Exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others in physical activity settings.
Standard 6: Values physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and/or social interaction.
National Health Education Standards
Reducing Health Risks: (a) Apply skills to manage stress, and (b) Demonstrate strategies to improve or maintain personal health.
Health Promotion and Disease Prevention: (a) Describe how physical, social, and emotional environments influence personal health.
Focus 1-2-3 challenges students in their fine and gross motor skills, encourages the enjoyment of moving with others, teaches stress management and self awareness skills, as well as the value of taking physical activity breaks.